Feeding a dog
Feeding a dog is not rocket science – simple moves can do the trick. Basically, our furry friends are meat lovers who need animal-based protein in their diet.
Animal-based proteins, like meat or fish, are important building blocks for your dog's body, and animal fat fuels the dog’s engine. The belly machinery of dogs actually runs smoothest on a meaty diet. That is why the main ingredient in PrimaDog dog foods is always meat or fish. Check out this article for tips on feeding a dog.
What is on the menu for your furry friend?
Feeding a dog can be a breeze with all-in-one chow, like dry dog food. Meaty and high-quality complete dog foods make dog feeding worry-free, packing in all the essential nutrients in the right proportions.
But can a dog roll on dry dog food alone? At PrimaDog, we recommend a simple but varied food pyramid with a solid base of high-quality kibble or other kind of complete dog food. Different wet dog foods, sausages for dogs, meat, fish, and eggs are like the secret sauce for boosting your dog’s diet.
Interested in spicing up your dog's dining routine? Dive into our tips for adding variety to your dog’s meals!
When 70 % of the dog’s daily food is complete dog food, the dog will get all the nutrients it needs. You can replace the rest 30 % with fresh meat, fish, or other ingredients suitable for dogs.
Got a dog with a sensitive stomach or itchy skin? Grain-free dog food might be the answer. Get the scoop on grain-free diet and feeding a dog with sensitive stomachs.
PrimaDog wet dog foods and sausages for dogs are complete dog foods that suit perfectly for your dog’s daily meals or to jazz up the dog’s chow routine. Take a peek at the goodies.
How much food should a dog eat a day?
Check the dog food packaging. The feeding instructions on dog food packages provide a rough idea of how much food to give to a dog of a certain weight. But hey, do not rely on them blindly, as factors like the dog's age, activity level, and whether the dog is carrying a bit of extra padding all play a part when trying to figure out the right food portion.
Measure portions. When scooping on kibbles, measure them using a coffee mug or other kind of a measuring cup. That way, you can keep track on how much your furry friend is eating each day and adjust the food amount without any fuss.
Dog food type matters. Wet dog food has water in the mix, so you should give it to the dog twice as much as the kibble.
Keep an eye on your dog’s weight. If your dog is on the chubby side of the scale, there is a chance it could lead to some health hiccups. You can monitor your dog's weight not only by using a scale, but also by estimating the so-called body condition score.
A dog with the perfect amount of padding won't show their ribs but will have them easy to feel. When you look at the dog sideways, there should be a waistline action going on. And peeking from above, you should totally spot a waist too. If you are digging around for those ribs under a layer of cushion and the waistline is playing hide and seek, it might be time for a diet plan.
So, what is the best way to tell if your dog is on the right food track? Surely the dog itself! When feeding a dog right, its weight is not going on a rollercoaster, and the dog is up for some tail-wagging playtime and good strolls.
Feeding a dog: How often a dog should eat?
An adult dog usually eats 1–2 times a day.
8–12 weeks old puppy should eat 3–4 meals per day. When your tiny rascal hits six months of age, you can start feeding it twice a day. But what to feed to these mischievous little ones? Read our tips on feeding a puppy.
If your furry friend is prone to stomach upset or acid reflux, the day's food can be split into 3–4 small meals. This may ease the symptoms of acid reflux and bilious vomiting syndrome, i. e. vomiting on an empty stomach.
Fill your dog’s food bowl with PrimaDog’s wheat-free or grain-free dry food and let your dog enjoy nutritious meal packed with meat. Do not know where to buy? Find the nearest retailer!
Feeding an adult dog
Feeding a dog that is full-grown starts with figuring out what kind of character your tail-wagger is. Is your dog comfort-loving couch potato, an active adventurer, or somewhere in between? Many dogs exercise for a moderate 1–2 hours a day. For this kind of a dog dry food with around 25% protein and about 15% fat is usually a good choice. Read more about how to find the right food for your dog.
An active sporting, working or hunting dog usually needs more protein and fat in its diet than a dog that mainly goes on regular walks. We have got some pointers on sizing up your dog's activity and how to keep your active exerciser well-fed. Read more about feeding an active dog.
Are you looking for a reliable go-to option for your furry friend, that makes feeding a dog a breeze? Check out PrimaDog dry foods and give your dog a taste of Nordic happiness.